1 (One) Science and Technology Management Fellowship for a PhD or Master Degree is open at the FCiências.ID – Associação para a Investigação e Desenvolvimento de Ciências, within PLACARD – Platform for Climate Adaptation and Risk Reduction financed by the European Commission under the programme Horizon 2020 Societal Challenges 7 DRS-9a, under the following conditions:
1. Scientific Area: Sociology, Environmental Engineering, Biology, Geography and related areas.
2. Requirements for admission: The candidate should have a master degree or Ph.D. in Natural or Social Sciences and experience in the following topics:
a) Climate change adaptation or disaster risk reduction (preferred factor)
b) Organization and facilitation of workshops, conferences and multi-stakeholder planning processes
c) Stakeholder participation methods
d) Excellent English (written and spoken) – Exclusion factor
e) Excellent organization skills and ability to work in a multicultural team.
3. Factors preferred: Experience in event organization, good communication skills, good project management capabilities, knowledge in climate change adaptation and/or disaster risk reduction, previous experience working with European projects.
4. Work plan: Support the coordination of the European project PLACARD (http://www.placard-network.eu/) with the objective of developing an European platform for dialogue, knowledge exchange and collaboration between the Climate Change Adaptation and Disaster Risk Reduction communities, which includes the organization and facilitation of international workshops, team meetings, conferences, project management and planning, contact with stakeholders, writing of reports, scientific and policy briefings. The work plan also includes supporting the organisation of a major European conference, which will take place in 2019. Availability to travel abroad is required.
5. Legislation framework: Statute of the Scientific Research Fellowship, in accordance with Law 40/2004, of 18 August, as amended and republished by Decree-Law No. 202/2012 of 27 August, and as amended by Decree-Law No. 233/2012 of 29 October and by Law No. 12/2013, of January 29, and Decree-Law No. 89/2013 of 9 July; And also by the FCT, I.P. Fellowships Regulation, in force (http://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/docs/RegulamentoBolsasFCT2015.pdf) and FCiências.ID Fellowship Regulation, as approved on 23rd February 2017.
6. Place of work: The work will be developed at the Research Group CCIAM (http://ce3c.ciencias.ulisboa.pt/team/CCIAM) from the Centre for Ecology, Evolution and Environmental Changes – cE3c of the Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa under the scientific guidance of Dr. Mário Pulquério.
7. Fellowship duration: This position is initially opened for 3 months and will begin on April 2018. The fellowship contract may be renewed until the end date of the project (May 2020), in accordance with the provisions of Regulation of Research Fellowships from the Foundation for Science and Technology, I.P.
8. Monthly allowance: The fellowship amounts to € 980 (Master Degree) or 1495 (PhD), according to table values of the fellowships awarded directly by the FCT, IP. (http://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/valores).
The fellowship holder will have a personal accident insurance and, if not covered by any social protection scheme can ensure the right to social security through adherence to the voluntary social insurance scheme, pursuant to Código dos Regimes Contributivos do Sistema Previdencial de Segurança Social.
The fellowship will be paid monthly by bank transfer.
9. Selection method:
Candidates will be assessed in two stages. The first stage selection will be based on the quality of the CV (80%) (i.e. relevance in relation to the tasks described, experience in research, publications) and Motivation Letter (20%). Successful top 3 first stage candidates will be invited for an interview (100%) (Preferably in person, yet also possible via skype).
10. Selection Committee: The selection will be done by three Jury members: Tiago Capela Lourenço (President), Mário Pulquério (Effective Member), João Pedro Nunes (Effective Member), Julia Bentz (Effective Member); alternate members of the jury are Luís Filipe Dias.
11. Publication/notification of results: The final results of the evaluation will become public, through ordered list final grade obtained which will be posted at the entrance hall of the FCiências.ID, located at the Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, C1 bdg – 3rd floor, Campo Grande, 1749-016 Lisboa, and the selected candidate will be notified by e-mail.
12. Deadlines: This call for applications is open from open from 5th of March 2018 to 25th of March 2018.
13. Application: Applications may be sent via email to email@example.com, by attaching the following documents: Curriculum vitae, Motivation Letter and Graduate Certificates (sum total cannot be larger than 3 MB). Curriculum vitae and the certificates may be in Portuguese or English, while the motivation letter has to be written in English. Please indicate the following subject PLACARD.