One (1) Research Fellowship for PhD or Master Degree is open at the FCiências.ID – Associação para a Investigação e o Desenvolvimento de Ciências, for the project “Plano Municipal de Adaptação às Alterações Climáticas de Oeiras – PMAACO”, financed by Oeiras Municipality under the following conditions:
1. Scientific Area: Climatology, Meteorology, Physics and Geophysics. Other courses can be accepted if the candidate shows strong experience in processing data of climate models.
2. Requirements for admission: The candidate should have Ph.D. or Master Degree in the above mentioned areas. Previous experience in processing data from climate models.
3. Factors preferred: Previous experience in programming (especially in R, Python, or MatLab) and in using statistical downscaling methods in order to adapt the outputs from global climate simulations to the regional-to-local scale needed for impacts assessments.
4. Work plan: The candidate will carry out scientific research within the PMAACO project, namely in the calculation of different climatic variables at an appropriate scale for the territory in question.
5. Legislation framework: Statute of the Scientific Research Fellowship, in accordance with Law 40/2004, of 18 August, as amended and republished by Decree-Law No. 202/2012 of 27 August, and as amended by Decree-Law No. 233/2012 of 29 October and by Law No. 12/2013, of January 29, and Decree-Law No. 89/2013 of 9 July; And also by the FCT, I.P. Fellowships Regulation, in force (http://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/docs/RegulamentoBolsasFCT2015.pdf) and FCiências.ID Fellowship Regulation, as approved on 23rd February 2017.
6. Place of work: The work will be developed at CCIAM Research Group from the Center for Ecology, Evolution and Environmental Changes, under the scientific guidance of Dr. Luís Dias.
7. Fellowship duration: This position is initially opened for 3 months and will begin on December 2017. The fellowship contract may be renewed until the end date of the project (July 2019), in accordance with the provisions of Regulation of Research Fellowships from the Foundation for Science and Technology, I.P.
8. Monthly allowance: The fellowship amounts to € 980 (Master Degree) or 1495 (PhD), according to table values of the fellowships awarded directly by the FCT, IP. (http://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/valores). The fellowship holder will have a personal accident insurance and, if not covered by any social protection scheme can ensure the right to social security through adherence to the voluntary social insurance scheme, pursuant to Código dos Regimes Contributivos do Sistema Previdencial de Segurança Social.
The fellowship will be paid monthly by bank transfer.
9. Selection method: Candidates will be assessed by the quality of their CV (75%) and Motivation Letter (25%). Only candidates with scores higher than 75% in the CV evaluation will be considered. Additionally, an interview can be conducted to the top 3 candidates (100%).
10. Selection Committee: Luís Dias (President), Sílvia Carvalho (Effective Member), Tiago Lourenço (Effective Member), Gil Penha-Lopes (Alternate Member)
11. Publication/notification of results: The final results of the evaluation will become public, through ordered list final grade obtained which will be posted at the entrance hall of the FCiências.ID, located at the Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, C1 bdg – 3rd floor, Campo Grande, 1749-016 Lisboa, and the selected candidate will be notified by e-mail.
12. Deadlines: This call for applications is opened from the 7th to 26h of November 2017.
13. Application: Applications may be sent via e-mail email@example.com by attaching the following documents: Curriculum vitae, certificate and motivation letter (sum total cannot be larger than 2 MB). Please indicate the following subject Fellowship 5.