Telephone 217500000 (ext.21423)
H Index of Web of Science 11
H Index Google 19
Curriculum Vitae Download •
I received a Ph.D. in Forestry from the University of Lisbon (School of Agriculture) in 2005 and I am currently working in the Climate Change Impacts, Adaptation & Modelling research group of cE3c. My research focuses on:
- Monitoring of biomass burning and land use/cover change by remote sensing;
- The impacts of fire and the relationship between fire and vegetation dynamics, with an emphasis on the greenhouse gas emissions to the atmosphere and on the impacts in the carbon cycle;
- The study of the human-environment relationship at the landscape scale (e.g., drivers and impacts of land use change, deforestation, natural resource management).
My current research is driven by three overarching objectives:
- To improve the understanding and modelling of the impacts of shifting cultivation, also known as slash-and-burn agriculture, in the forests and woodlands of tropical regions. The emphasis is on the role of fire in the carbon cycle and on the greenhouse gas emissions to the atmosphere from biomass burning;
- Assessment of photosynthetic activity with field spectroradiometry in Mediterranean oak woodlands, including seasonal and interannual dynamics of trees, shrubs and grasses;
- The development of strategies for adaptation to climate change, at local and municipal levels.
Aguiar, F.C., Bentz, J., Silva, J.M.N., Fonseca, A.L., Swart, R., Santos, F.D. & Penha-Lopes, G. (2018) Adaptation to Climate Change at local level in Europe: an overview.Environmental Science and Policy, 86, 38-63. DOI:10.1016/j.envsci.2018.04.010 (IF2018 4,816; Q1 Environmental Sciences)
Häusler, M., Silva, J.M.N., Cerasoli, S., López-Saldaña, G. & Pereira, J.M.C. (2016) Modelling spectral reflectance of open cork oak woodland: a simulation analysis of the effects of vegetation structure and background.International Journal of Remote Sensing, 37(3), 492-515. DOI:10.1080/01431161.2015.1134847 (IF2016 1,724; Q2 Imaging Science & Photographic Technology)
Cerasoli, S., Costa e Silva, F. & Silva, J.M.N. (2016) Temporal dynamics of spectral bioindicators evidence biological and ecological differences among functional types in a cork oak open woodland.International Journal of Biometeorology, 60(6), 813-825. DOI:10.1007/s00484-015-1075-x (IF2016 2,204; Q2 Biophysics)
Page not found.