Hands on Functional Diversity: from Ecological Indicators to Ecosystem Services
- Lecturer(s) or Responsible(s): Paula Matos (Univ. Lisboa), Alice Nunes (Univ. Lisboa), Laura Concostrina-Zubiri (Univ. Lisboa), Pedro Pinho (Univ. Lisboa), Margarida Santos-Reis (Univ. Lisboa), Cristina Branquinho (Univ. Lisboa).
- Department Responsible: Departamento de Biologia Vegetal and Departamento de Biologia Animal (FCUL)
- Data: January 14th, 2019 to January 18th, 2019
- Deadline for Applications: December 14th, 2018
- Duration: 36 hours
- Schedule: 9:00-17:30; Lectures/Computer Lab – 4 days, Field trip – 1 day
- Nº (min, max) Students: 10-20
- Location: Departamento de Biologia Vegetal/Departamento de Biologia Animal, C2 FCUL, Campo Grande 1749-016 Lisboa
Under the general framework of Global Change Ecology, the goal of this course is to provide the participants with the most recent and practical knowledge on the use of Functional Diversity. This includes the selection of functional traits and calculation of Functional Diversity Indexes. Examples of the application of this knowledge will be given regarding Ecological Indicators and Ecosystem Services.
The specific objectives are:
- To give a general overview on global change drivers and point out the needs of current and future studies on Ecology
- To synthesize the most useful methods and tools for Ecosystem Services assessment, focusing on Ecological Indicators
- To allow the participants to apply the acquired knowledge on case study data (participants’ data or data provided by the organizers), using R software. Examples of calculation with other software will also be provided (e.g. PC-ORD)
This course can have a recognition of 6 ECTs for FCUL PhD students enrolling in it as part of their first doctoral year. For students only requiring 5 ECTs recognized in their specific PhD programmes the last 6 hours of the course are not mandatory and the certificate will be on 'Topics in Hands on Functional Diversity’.
Minimal formation of students: Bachelor in Biology, Natural Science or related areas
Directed to: MSc or PhD students in Biology, Environmental Sciences, Ecology or related areas, postdocs and professionals working in related topics.Directed to: MSc or PhD students in Biology, Environmental Sciences, Ecology or related areas, postdocs and professionals working in related topics.
- Day 1: Lecture on theory and concepts on Ecological Indicators and Ecosystem Services, Project presentation (research line/current data of participants’ or case study selected from the literature by early stage PhD students with no current project)
- Day 2: Lecture on Functional Diversity Indices and Methods for measurement/calculation, Database management, Computer Lab
- Day 3: Computer Lab
- Day 4: Field trip
- Day 5: Synthesis’ Lecture based on case studies by the organizers, Final presentation on the application of the acquired knowledge during the course by participants
Free for 1st year PhD students in the Doctoral program in Biology (FCUL), Biodiversity, Genetics and Evolution (BIODIV FCUL/FCUP) and Biology and Ecology of Global Changes (BEAG UL/UA) when the course counts credits for their formation, in which case the delivery of a final report done after the course is mandatory; 50 € for other PhD students from cE3c, 80 € for PhD students from institutions of the PEERS network (CFE-Coimbra); 125 € for FCUL Master students and unemployed; 180 € for BTI, BI and other PhD students; 250 € for Professional and postdocs.
When the maximum number of students is reached 10 vacancies will be available for non-paying 1st year PhD students mentioned above, being, by order of preference: 1) cE3c students; 2) BIODIV students (not from cE3c); 3) FCUL students (not from cE3c); 4) BEAG students (not from FCUL).
Contacts for Inscription
Candidates should send to Paula Matos (email@example.com) a short CV and motivation letter explaining why they are interested in the course. The cv and letter should be named as 1st-lastNAME-CV.pdf and 1st-lastNAME-ML.pdf (that is personalize the name of each file with your first and last name).
In the email please add the following information:
Professional activity: Professional/Postdoc, BTI, BI (or other non-post-doc research grant), PhD student (with/ without scholarship), Lic. (Bachelor)/Master student
PhD student of the 1st year of Doctoral programme BIODIV (FCUL/FCUP), Biologia (FCUL) or BEAG (FCUL or UA)?:
If yes to the above question, PhD student doing the Course to count credits for 1st year?:
PhD student of cE3c or CEF (Centro de Ecologia Funcional):?
If PhD student from another programme/centre, which: